Well Nerds, BBC has officially given some more hints to the fate of the recent companion in their Doctor Who Twitter account. It features brief interviews with Steven Moffat, producer/director/writer of the series featuring the 11th Doctor, Matt Smith, and the official announcement of who the new companion of Smith will be.
Here are the @bbcdoctorwho announcements, in order:
- “I want to get started already” says Jenna. “I’m a huge fan of the show”. Of her favourite companion “Between Billie Piper & Karen Gillan”
- “Matt Smith did my audition with me. It was fun and I felt like we were in it together” says Jenna.
- Steven: “We saw a lot of brilliant actresses. But Jenna was the only person going faster than Matt – he had to keep up!”
- There will be 6 episodes this year, including the Xmas Special. Then 8 next year. Jenna’s character will first be seen at Xmas.
- No announcement on plans for the 50th anniversary given today.
- Steven “Amy & Rory will leave in a final encounter with the Weeping Angels in ep 5. Not everyone gets out alive and I mean it this time”
- Jenna has asked us to remind you that she does not have and doesn’t plan to have a Twitter account. Beware of imposters!
Jenna-Louise Coleman announced as the new Doctor Who companion. More to come…
This is some amazing news, coming out much earlier than I had originally thought. Only into their third week of filming the new season, the news is spreading fast, as I am sure they want to conduct as much damage control as possible with people from the casting getting turned down for the roll.
However we need to take as much as we can, coming from the misleading Steven Moffat, with a grain of salt. He has used the press and media in the past to get people off of the actual course of the production of his shows. Yet as this is coming from the BBC Doctor Who publicity team, we can probably believe every word.
Jenna-Louise Coleman is a Blackpool- born 25-year-old who played, for all of the Captain America film fans out there, Connie. She has also had rolls in the U.S. drama Boston Legal, and also in the U.K. in Emmerdale, Waterloo Road, and also provided the voice for “Melia” in the 2011 video game Xenoblade Chronicles.
The biggest of the news is the possibility of a companion’s death for the first time in Who history. If Amy and Rory Pond truly get killed off in an episode with the Weeping Angels, one of the Doctor’s most beloved, and troublesome villains, it would be the first time that a companion has died. How it will affect the Doctor is unknown. With the dimensionally lost ex-companion Rose Tyler, the Doctor seemed to be affected for quite a while, never really giving Martha Jones a chance to shine as her own companion prior to regenerating into the 11th Doctor.
As any more information is released from BBC, or Steven Moffat starts rumors himself, we will keep you informed.
As always I really want to hear what you think of these developments. Please let me know in the comments below!